Learning how to pair your DISH remote control to your receiver is tedious but not difficult. Whether you’re replacing a lost DISH remote control or upgrading the entire setup, this process is easy and quick.
By simply following a few steps, the pairing process should be over within a few minutes. You will be able to resume programming in no time.
How Do I Program My DISH Remote to My TV Receiver?
The first thing you need to do before you start to program your DISH remote to your TV is to figure out what kind of remote model you have. There are multiple models available. And their setups are sometimes a little different.
Which Remote Do I Have?
DISH Network provides a guide for customers to differentiate all the types of remotes that come with their products. Click on the model that most resembles your remote. Once you know which DISH remote you have, you can follow the next steps.
Check for Compatibility
If you’re replacing an old remote, it’s important to make sure that your new equipment is compatible with your setup. This is not something that applies to customers setting up brand new equipment, as it’s assumed you’re getting a controller with a receiver as a package.
If your remote is compatible, you’ll notice that it has a DISH logo along the bottom. Sometimes, when you replace your DISH remote with a new one, the menu button or home button might look different. You can always call DISH if you feel that this limits usability.
Find the Pairing Code
The more advanced remotes pair instantly without a code. But if your DISH remote doesn’t automatically do this, you can look for the right code in your device’s instruction manual. Or you can look through the DISH remote guide and see which remote you have.
Program Remote to Receiver
- On the front panel of your receiver, you’ll see a series of buttons. Press the button on the front that says SYSTEM INFO.
- Now take a look at your remote. Locate the SAT button and press it.
- Right after you press the SAT button, the SYSTEM INFO screen will pop up. Once this happens, click DONE and you’re all set.
- In case the screen does not clear after the process is done, press the CANCEL or BACK button and repeat the first three steps.
Input Pairing Code
Now that your DISH remote is paired, your receiver will prompt you to input the pairing code. Once you enter it, you’re good to go.
How Do I Pair My DISH Remote to My TV?
Before you start this process, see which device you have set up on your TV. The instructions for the Hopper-family receivers and ViP-model receivers are slightly different.
How to Pair Your Remote Control to Hopper / Joey / Wally
- Depending on which remote you have, press the HOME button twice or the MENU button twice.
- Select SETTINGS.
- Scroll down until you can select REMOTE CONTROL.
- Arrow to the device codes you want to learn and select.
- Choose the appropriate Pairing Wizard for your device.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the setup.
How to Program Your Dish Remote to ViP Receivers
- Point your remote to the device you want to pair it with. Press and hold the mode button you want to program. You’ll see that all the buttons light up.
- This is where you’ll enter the three-digit remote control code.
- If you’re programming everything in AUX mode, you’ll have to press the following number first before entering the appropriate code.
- 0 for a TV (i.e. if the TV code is 700, you’ll enter 0700).
- 1 for a DVD player or VCR
- 2 for any other device
- Once you go you enter the code appropriately, press the # button.
- The mode button you selected at the beginning of the process will flash three times.
- Next, press the POWER button on your DISH remote. If the device turns off, then the process was completed successfully.
Do Universal Remotes Work with DISH Network?
Absolutely. DISH network wants to make it easier for their customers to enjoy watching TV.
Anytime you receive a DISH Network receiver, you’ll also get a DISH remote with it. But, if you prefer to pair other remotes to the receiver, you won’t have any trouble setting them up.
The DISH remote that you end up using does not matter much in the long run. Once you pair it to the receiver, you’ll have access to the usual functions. You’ll be able to turn the TV on and off with the power buttons, control volume buttons, and set up recording settings just like you would with a DISH remote.
How Do I Program My Universal Remote to My DISH Box?
Programming any kind of remote is easy. All you have to do is follow a few simple steps so that you can start pairing your new remote control.
- Take a look at the front panel of your receiver. You’ll notice that there are multiple buttons on it. Press the SYSTEM INFO button.
- Now take a look at your remote. Locate the button that reads SAT. Press it.
- Press the RECORD button.
- After you press the RECORD button, a new screen will pop up on your TV that says SYSTEMS INFO. Once you see this select DONE.
How to Program Universal Remote to DISH Network Receiver
Similar to how you would pair your universal remote to your DISH box, connecting your remote to a satellite receiver will only take you a few minutes.
- Locate the SAT button on the front of your remote. Press and hold it for a few seconds until you see the other mode buttons light up.
- Once other buttons start flashing, press the 3-digit remote code: 000. This is your pairing code.
- Once you punch in the 3-digit code, press the POWER button and see if your receiver turns off.
- If your receiver turns off, everything is programmed correctly. Simply press the POWER button again to turn the TV back on.
- If the receiver does not turn off after you press POWER, take a deep breath and repeat the first three steps.
How Do I Reset My DISH Remote Control?
The easiest way to do this is to unpair and pair the remote as a way to reset it. This process only takes two simple steps.
- On the front panel of your receiver, press the SYS INFO button.
- Once you press the SYS INFO button, use the arrows to select UNPAIR.
This will unpair your remote from your device. Wait a few minutes and re-pair the remote to your receiver.
How Do I Program My DISH Network Remote Without a Code?
Pairing your remote control without a code is possible. But, keep in mind that this process varies depending on the remote control model you have.
How to Program Remote Models 40.0, 50.0, 52.0, and 54.0 Without a Code
- Locate the HOME button on your DISH remote and press it twice.
- If your remote does not have a HOME button, press the MENU button twice.
- Once you do this, a screen will pop up. Go to SETTINGS and select REMOTE CONTROL on the display.
- Now you’ll see devices on the screen. Select the correct device that you want to pair your DISH remote to.
- From the options on the menu displayed, select PAIRING WIZARD.
- Once you do this, different brands will pop up on the screen. Select the correct brand of the device you want to connect to your DISH remote.
- Because you don’t have a code, the pairing wizard will prompt you to try a series of different codes to see which one works.
- You will need to press the up directional button for the volume or power to test the first code. If this one doesn’t work, try the next code. Keep going until the pairing wizard find the right code.
- Once the pairing is successful, select FINISH on the screen.
Programming your DISH remote to a receiver shouldn’t give you a headache. But if you ever run into problems during the setup, you can always reach out to DISH and have them help you over the phone.
Remember, whether you have a DISH remote or a universal remote control, there’s always a way to complete the setup successfully. Follow the steps in this article and you’ll be using your remote in no time.