Key Social Media Statistics 2022
- There are 3.96 billion active users on social media platforms.
- 60 percent of users worldwide engage in social media networks.
- Adults between the ages of 18 to 29 comprise about 84 percent of social media users in the United States.
- 72 percent of all social media traffic comes from Facebook.
- Over 500 million people use Stories every day.
- 60 percent of LinkedIn users are between the ages of 25 to 34.
- 79 percent of the content users post affects what they buy.
- 36 percent of businesses use Instagram stories to promote their products.
- 98 percent of Facebook users access the platform through their phones.
- YouTube alone accounts for more than 25 percent of total worldwide mobile traffic.
The world of social media is unavoidable. And billions of Internet users engage on social media platforms every day.
Social media has taken over how the world networks with others. That much is a given. But we are also benefitting from how companies manipulate content.
Users worldwide encounter ads daily. And nowadays, it’s not uncommon to run businesses online. Consumer behavior depends on marketing efforts.
This is where social marketing strategies come into place. Much of the user-generated content you see bases itself on digital marketing strategies. This is because most of your favorite social media platforms target an audience.
The year 2022 brings important changes to social media statistics. Remember, the social media landscape changes all the time. Stats can sometimes provide interesting insights. But it’s more important to understand how the social media market behaves.
Different platforms offer different kinds of exposure. For example, let’s pretend you’re someone that wants to take over the fashion sector. To do this, you have to leverage Instagram reels to market your work.
This kind of thinking also applies to an average user. Because knowing the latest social media statistics can impact how you perceive content.
Social media is here to stay. Planning your interactions online is all about understanding how social media works.
All Internet users can reap the benefits of social networks. And gaining insight from social media data points will help you do that.
Here are the latest social media statistics you need to know.
How Many Internet Users Engage in Social Media?
There are many active social media users out there. Is it millions? Billions? The number changes all the time. Yet, this new year brings an increase of over 300 thousand users since 2020.
In 2022 there are 3.96 billion active users on a social media platform. That’s about 360 thousand users more than the two previous years. What’s more, by 2025, experts expect this number to grow to 4.41 billion users worldwide.
What Percentage of the Population Is on Social Media?
What Is Causing Social Media Usage to Increase?
The number of active users on popular social media platforms is very high. And this is something that’s often highlighted in important social media statistics. So, what is causing the spike in the number of people adding to digital channels?
The Pew Research Center determined that adults under 30 stand out for their use of social media. These include sites like Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok. Younger adults reign social media channels in a way that no other age group can.
Age is a big factor in the usage of social media. But a bigger reason for the increase in usage is the expansion of mobile possibilities. Mobile devices make a social media platform more available and accessible.
Apps make it easier to engage and create content on the go. To a large extent, the optimization of apps created an increase in social media users. That, and the fact that people want to share their lives online with others.
This is especially true for young adults. Adults between the ages of 18 to 29 comprise about 84 percent of social media users in the United States.
Facebook Is the Market Leader
Social media statistics continue to put Facebook on top as the market leader of social media. 72 percent of all social media traffic comes from the popular social media platform. Facebook users amount to 2.89 billion per month.
To put this in perspective, let’s take the image-sharing site Pinterest. Pinterest’s users rank second with a mere 12 percent of all social media sites visits. While microblogging site Twitter accounts for 9.15 percent of the market share.
In the last few years, Facebook has experienced some setbacks. Still, it’s important to recognize Facebook’s power as a social media giant. Facebook usage makes them one of the leaders in social media marketing.
Facebook Statistics at a Glance
- Ad revenue comprises a big part of Facebook statistics. Their ad revenue in the third quarter of 2021 added up to 28.2 billion dollars.
- Facebook spends an average of 154 billion dollars on social media ads worldwide.
- The number of messages that Facebook users share through Facebook messenger surpasses expectations. It reaches 668 thousand per Internet minute.
- Over 500 million people use Facebook Stories every day.
- Facebook users that want to generate money from ads need to stick to a certain video length. The optimal Facebook video length is between one and two minutes.
- The most popular fashion brand with the most Facebook users is Louis Vuitton.
Social Media Usage by Generation
There’s a steady flow of monthly active users on different social networks. And it’s safe to assume that they’re not all in the same age group.
The majority of social users are in the 18 to 29 group. TikTok users are much younger than the rest of social media users, with 25 percent made up of 10 to 19-year-olds.
Meanwhile, 60 percent of LinkedIn users are between the ages of 25 to 34. This is in large part due to the professional nature of the site.
This is why understanding the users of each platform is so important. Making an informed decision about the best marketing strategy depends on the audience. Different social platforms work better depending on your target audience. This also varies depending on the product or service you’re promoting.
Gen Z: 18 to 24 Years Old
Social platforms are the most appealing to the youngest generation of users. These are young adults that fall between the ages of 18 and 24 years old.
Gen Z leads social media usage. Almost the entire generation uses social media daily. About 98 percent of Generation Z owns one or two mobile devices. And 97 percent of them use social networks to shop, socialize, and watch video content.
Here are more stats about Generation Z and their use of social media.
- 70 percent of Gen Z-ers are Facebook users.
- There are 33.3 million Instagram users between the ages of 18 and 24.
- TikTok closed the year with 37.3 million Gen Z monthly active TikTok users.
Millennials: 25 to 40 Years Old
Millennials are not the largest group of TikTok users. But, they’re still pretty high on the ranks of social platforms. About 81 percent of 30 to 49-year-olds claim to be active users of social media.
The preferred social platform for millennials is Facebook. Yet, millennials like to split their screen time across different platforms. Facebook is their preferred one.
This is a more mature generation than Gen Z. As such, their presence is more popular on sites like LinkedIn. And are still active Instagram users and Twitter users.
- 79 percent of millennials use social media more than once a day.
- Social media marketing statistics show trends in purchases. 72 percent of millennials use social media trends to guide them with their purchases.
- 36 percent of millennials use social media to stay up-to-date with current events and news.
Generation X: 41 to 56 Years Old
Many consider this generation to be the true middle of the road. Generation X is between a much younger generation and baby boomers. Gen Xers make up 30 percent of the American population. And they’re a target audience that a lot of marketers want.
Generation x spends an average of six hours and 58 minutes per week on social media networks. A difference that separates this generation from others is their low-key online presence. This makes them a difficult audience to market.
This doesn’t mean that their online presence dwindles. Generation X loves social media. Almost 90 percent of Gen Xers are YouTube Users. Extra stats reveal interesting insights.
- 75 percent of Gen Xers are active YouTube users to stay connected to the past and embrace nostalgia.
- Generation X is loyal to brands. 78 percent belong to premium loyalty programs.
- 60 percent of Gen Xers prefer video when they’re learning about a new brand or product.
Baby Boomers: 57 to 74 Years Old
Although baby boomers are not huge on social media, they still have a preference for Facebook. About 78 percent of the older generation are Facebook users.
Social media marketing campaigns focus more on the younger generations. Yet the generation with the most stable finances is the baby boomers. And they’re the ones often left out on social media.
Baby boomers are set to pass $68 trillion to their children. This is the largest transfer ever, making them the wealthiest generation. They’re also more active on social media than you might think. On average, they spend 48 minutes per day browsing Facebook and Instagram.
- Baby boomers make up 32 percent of user accounts on Instagram.
- One out of three baby boomers will leverage YouTube to learn about services or products.
- Baby boomers are not known to base their purchases on social media ads. Only 33 percent report buying a product based on a social media marketing strategy.
How Much Time Do People Spend on Social Media?
These days, it’s not uncommon to spend hours at a time scrolling online. This includes time spent on social media apps and messaging apps like WhatsApp.
The latest statistics show that an average user spends roughly two and a half hours on social media per day. And that’s just in the United States.
Out of the world’s population, the country that spends the most time online per day is the Philippines. They spend an average of three hours and 53 minutes on social media every day.
There’s no shortage of opportunities for businesses to expand their markets. Especially as the number of users worldwide continues to spend time online. As social marketing strategies evolve, more marketing solutions will become available. These will drive traffic to a variety of platforms and increase usage.
Social Media Marketing Statistics
If there’s one thing social media is good for is social media marketing. The best example of this is Instagram. Marketers love to try new digital marketing strategies through the popular website.
Most businesses crown Instagram as the most successful platform for influencer marketing. 98 percent of marketers prefer the photo-sharing app over others for this reason.
Social media marketing is the most efficient way to promote products and services. Almost 80 percent of marketers report buying paid advertising on social media. This allows them to broaden their target audience.
Before buying products, 54 percent of browsers research products on all platforms. They use social media advertising as a way to gain knowledge about products they like. This is the main reason companies use digital marketing to promote their products.
For example, businesses use Instagram stories to promote products through video marketing tools. These campaigns appeal to Generation Z and millennials the most. They comprise 67 and 57 percent of Instagram users respectively.
Customers Are Using Social Media
A good social media strategy attracts users to social media platforms. And a good marketing strategy always appeals to potential buyers.
Instagram users are the most exposed to social media strategy in the forms of ads and video content. This approach encourages users to make purchases based on what influencers promote.
The way users make purchases depends on the content they engage with every day. User reviews, ratings, and user-generated reels help buyers make decisions before they are sold on a product.
In fact, marketing statistics show that 79 percent of the content users post affects how potential buyers make purchases. By contrast, only 13 percent of content from brands has the same power. And only eight percent of influencer-created promotion works in the same manner.
The key to this strategy is to find the right social media platform for the right audience. This is the best way to maximize resources and make the most out of marketing strategies.
The Impact of a Positive Customer Experience
By now it’s pretty clear that social media is essential to build your brand. One way businesses maximize marketing strategies is by providing exceptional customer service. This is part of the user experience.
Like any other business, good customer service can help grow clientele. This is no different than what a good social media marketing strategy can do.
Social media statistics show that addressing a complaint increases popularity. The simple act of replying to someone unhappy with a product can help you grow by 25 percent.
Instagram Stories Usage
The younger generations are all about instant gratifications. And what better way to provide them with a quick dose of content than Instagram stories.
According to Instagram statistics, Instagram users surpass the one billion mark. This is a much higher number than Twitter users or YouTube users. Plus, Instagram has 500 million daily active Story users worldwide. Here are some additional stats.
- 86 Percent of Instagrammers use stories daily.
- Approximately 60 percent of millennials watch Instagram stories or posts their own.
- 36 percent of businesses use Instagram stories to promote their products.
- According to Instagram statistics, businesses are responsible for one-third of the most viewed stories.
Social Media Users Via Mobile
Mobile devices are the preferred way to access social media. 98 percent of Facebook users access the platform through their phones.
Smartphones and social media go hand in hand. And because both technologies advance at an equal pace, marketers need to understand the importance of how social media campaigns translate on mobile devices.
Sites like YouTube and Instagram depend on the public they’re able to reach through mobile devices. YouTube alone accounts for more than 25 percent of total worldwide mobile traffic.
If people are taking their phones with them everywhere. Why not encourage them to take your business with them, too?
By understanding and utilizing statistics, marketers can better cater to their audience and appeal to every consumer.
Summary: Social Media Statistics
Social media marketing statistics are always changing. There are new platforms every day. New content pops up every minute. And this is only the beginning.
When it comes to marketing, the most important piece of advice to remember is to consider your audience. Without a target for your product, it’s difficult to market services. All the different social media websites serve different purposes.
By studying social media statistics and understanding their patterns, you’ll be able to be more efficient with your marketing strategies.
Facebook Statistics 2022
- Facebook gets 1.79 million user visits every day.
- Facebook is the third most visited website in the world behind Google and Youtube.
- Facebook is the fifth most downloaded free app in the Apple Store.
- Over 50 percent of adults don’t understand how their newsfeed displays posts.
- 300 million people use stories on Facebook every day.
Instagram Statistics 2022
- Instagram has been downloaded 3.8 billion times.
- Instagram users share approximately 95 million photos and videos every day.
- Experts project the advertising revenue from ad sales to reach $40 billion by 2023.
- 60 percent of Instagram users discover new products on the platform.
- 17 percent of global active Instagram users are men between the ages of 18 and 24.
Twitter Statistics 2022
- Twitter statistics show that there are 206 million active users on the platform.
- The United States has 73 million Twitter users.
- 50 percent of consumers use Twitter spaces.
- The website traffic for Twitter is three times larger than its user base.
- 80 percent of Twitter’s users are mobile.
YouTube Statistics 2022
- Worldwide users watch YouTube videos for about 1 billion hours every day.
- Over 70 percent of usage happens through a mobile device.
- 70 percent of what users watch on YouTube is recommended by the website’s algorithm.
- The average user spends 17 minutes and 31 seconds on YouTube each day.
- 20 percent of the top 100 YouTube searches in the United States are music-related.
LinkedIn Statistics 2022
- 75 percent of LinkedIn users don’t live in the United States.
- The average income for LinkedIn users is $46,000 per year.
- 45 million users search for jobs on the platform every week.
- 30 percent of engagement on LinkedIn comes from employees.
- Nine out of 10 LinkedIn members want to know about new job opportunities.
Pinterest Statistics 2022
- 77 percent of the Pinterest audience is female.
- Every month there are 2 billion searches on Pinterest.
- 77 percent of Pinterest users discover new products on the site.
- 50 percent of Pinterest users live outside the United States.
- Pinterest users are 80 percent more likely to go to retail.
TikTok Statistics 2022
- 90 percent of TikTok users have an Android phone.
- The average TikTok user spends 52 minutes a day on the app.
- The person with the most followed account on TikTok is Charli D Amelio. She has over 123 million followers.
- Users view more than one billion videos per day on TikTok.
- TikTok has 1.1 billion monthly active users.